Thursday, October 6, 2011

The story that started it all...

It only took five words to change the lives of 27 individuals.

“Our deployment has been canceled,” said Maj. John Parks, commander of the 118th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment, Tennessee National Guard. “I’m sorry to be the bearer of bad news; I wanted to deliver it over the phone instead of through email, which is the way I found out.”

Warmth instantly surged through my body, like electricity surges through a wire, as I heard those words spoken. It was if my body didn’t know how to react to that news; I know I should be happy that I get to avoid such a dangerous place and such a dangerous mission but what does this mean for the 27 of us who have put our lives on hold in preparation for our deployment?

Some are out of work and have refrained from looking for jobs, some are expecting babies and will now be home for the births of their bundles of joy, and some are able to put life plans in motion a little sooner than expected.

One by one, we found out and called each other, everyone devastated and a little somber.

“I just have no idea what to do now,” said Sgt. Cole Hammons, journalist with the 118th MPAD. “I’ve based everything on this.”

Including an enlistment extension; Hammons joined the 118th MPAD after spending 6 years as a medic. He extended his enlistment contract for one year and spent 12 weeks in journalism school at the Defense Information School at Fort Meade, MD in preparation to deploy and document the close of a ten year war.

Will it be documented now? Doesn’t the public need to know?


We knew that we should let our commander break the news but hearing it from a friend, being able to cry on their shoulder a little bit seems to soften the blow. Within the first few hours, I received the calls from my closest friends and I made them.

I know this sounds weird,” said Sgt. Lila Walker, broadcast journalist with the 118th MPAD, “but it’s nice to have heard it from a female.”

What does this mean for the MPAD now? Will we stay together, will we break apart, will we attach to other units for the opportunity to deploy even if it means going with complete strangers?

Only one thing is sure, God has plans for us bigger than we know and He’s putting them in motion, right now. The 118th MPAD is a close knit group of storytellers and we will still tell our story.

No comments: